Human Research Protection Program
Protecting the health and safety of research participants
Fee schedule for IRB review
The fee schedule for IRB Review by the Department of Health Institutional Review Board: Learn more.
Online IRB Applications
Not sure if your project requires IRB review?
Multiple IRB review
University of South Florida, University of Central Florida, University of Miami, and Jackson Health System have agreed to recognize review by the Florida Department of Health IRB, when these university faculty are engaged in research involving the Florida Department of Health. This includes studies involving DOH data (for example, birth records), interviews and surveys, and FDA-regulated drug and device studies. This decision is an example of how DOH's full accreditation from the Association for Accreditation of Human Research Protection Program benefits researchers.
- USF, UCF, UM, and Jackson Health System researchers no longer need to wait for review by both their institution and DOH, and do not require duplicate IRB review.
- USF, UCF, UM, and Jackson Health System researchers should continue to apply for review by the Florida Department of Health IRB when engaged research involving the Florida Department of Health
- USF, UCF, UM, and Jackson Health System researchers no longer need to apply for IRB review from their institution's IRB when engaged in research involving the Florida Department of Health
All other researchers conducting research involving the Florida Department of Health still need review by their institution, unless their institution agrees to recognize the review of the Florida Department of Health IRB.
The Florida Department of Health is the first state health department to achieve Full Accreditation of its human research protection program from the Association for Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs. Learn more
- support for the Institutional Review Boards at the Department of Health
- technical assistance and regulatory analysis concerning research
The Human Research Protection Program is part of the Office of Public Health Research at the Florida Department of Health
Mission: To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.